Publications by the
Center for History of Physics Staff
Joe Anderson |
Joel Genuth | Katherine A. Hayes
| Alexei Kojevnikov | Thomas
C. Lassman |
W. Patrick McCray | Clay Redding
| Joan Warnow-Blewett | Spencer
- "Difficult to Document: The History of Physics and Allied Fields
in Industrial and Government Labs," Journal of Archival Organization,
V. 3, N. 1 (2005), pp. 7-21.
- "Working with Archivists
and Scientists to Document the History of Modern Science: The Program
of the Center for History of Physics," Archival Elements; Newsletter
of the Sci/Tech/Health Care Roundtable of the Society of the American
Archivists, June 1999.
- “The Organization of Scientific Collaboration,” Research
Policy (2002) 31, 5 : 749-767 (with Ivan Chompalov and Wesley Shrum).
- "Trust, Conflict, and Performance in Scientific Collaborations,"
Social Studies of Science (2001) 31, 5 : 681-730 (with Wesley
Shrum and Ivan Chompalov.)
- "How Experiments Begin:
The Formation of Scientific Collaborations," Minerva 38 (2000):
311-348 (with Wesley Shrum and Ivan Chompalov.)
- "Karl Taylor Compton,"
in American National Biography, ed. John A. Garraty and Mark
C. Carnes, New York : Oxford University Press, 1999.
A. Hayes [top]
- "Dialogues about knowledge
and power in totalitarian political culture," Historical Studies
in the Physical and Biological Sciences, 30 (1999): 227-248.
- "Rituals of Stalinist culture
at work: Science and the games of intra-party democracy circa 1948,"
Russian Review 1998, 57: 25-52 (with David Joravsky.)
- "Games of Stalinist democracy
and ideological discussions in Soviet science, 1947-1952," (In Russian),
Voprosy Istorii Estestvoznaniia i Tekhniki 1997 (4): 26-58.
- "President of Stalin's
Academy: the mask and responsibility of Sergei Vavilov," Isis
Vol. 87, no. 1 (Mar. 1996):18-50.
C. Lassman [top]
- "Industrial Research Transformed: Edward Condon at the Westinghouse
Electric and Manufacturing Company, 1935-1942," Technology
and Culture 44 (April 2003): 306-39.
Patrick McCray [top]
- Giant Telescopes: Astronomical Ambition and the Promise of Technology,
Harvard University Press: 2004.
- "Gemini South Dedication: A Historian's Perspective," Gemini
Observatory Newsletter, #24, June 2002.
- "The Glassmaking Industry,"
in the Oxford Encyclopedia of Economic History, New York: Oxford
University Press, 2002.
- "What Makes a Failure?
Designing a New National Telescope, 1975-1984," Technology and Culture,
- "Entrepreneurship in Technology
Transfer Offices: Making Work Visible," with Jennifer L. Croissant;
in Degrees of Compromise: Industrial Interests and Academic Values,
eds. Jennifer L. Croissant and Sal Restivo. New York: SUNY Press
- "Large Telescopes and the
Moral Economy of Recent Astronomy," Social Studies of Science
30, 5 (2000): 685-711.
Glassmaking in Renaissance
Venice: The Fragile Craft; Ashgate Press: 1999.
- "Creating Networks of Skill:
Technology Transfer and the Glass Industry of Renaissance Venice," The
Journal of European Economic History; (1999): 301-333
- "The Economics of a Cooperative EAD Project," in Library
Hi Tech, 19, no. 4 (2001): 400-407.
- "Documenting Recent Science:
Progress and Needs," in Science After '40, ed. Arnold Thackray,
Osiris vol. 7, (1992): 267-298.
R. Weart [top]
- "Trend-spotting: Physics in 1931 and today," Physics
Today 59, no. 6 (June 2006): 32-36. Online at http://www.physicstoday.org/vol-59/iss-6/p32.html.
- The Discovery of Global Warming, Harvard University Press,
Cambridge/London: 2003. Also see the Web
site on the Discovery of Global Warming.
- "The Discovery of Rapid Climate Change," Physics Today
56, no. 8 (Aug. 2003): 30-36. Online at http://www.aip.org/pt/vol-56/iss-8/p30.html
- "Preserving the Heritage of Discovery," Physics Today
55, 1 (2002): 28-34. Available
- "Los Alamos Changed Everything…,"
Chronicle of Higher Education (May 21, 1999): A64.
- Never at War: Why
Democracies won't Fight One Another. New Haven, CT: Yale University
Press, 1998. (see http://www.yale.edu/yup/chapters/070179chap.htm)
- "Climate Change, Post 1940,"
in Sciences of the Earth: An Encyclopedia of events, People, and
Phenomena, ed. Gregory A. Good. New York: Garland Publishing, 1998
- "Global Warming" article
for Dictionary of American History. New York: Scribner's -
American Reference Publishing, 1998.
- "Global Warming, Cold War,
and the Evolution of Research Plans," Historical Studies in the
Physical and Biological Sciences 27 (1997): 319-356.
- "The Discovery of the Risk
of Global Warming," Physics Today 50, no. 1 (Jan. 1997): 34-40.